Welcome to Season 3! To kick off this season, we hand off the mic to three incredible URiM (underrepresented in medicine) undergraduate pre-med students to share their journeys into the medical field. We hear about their common challenges, their strong sense of purpose to be a physician advocate for their community, and about their vision to improve the diversity and inclusivity of the medical field. This episode will leave you inspired!
- Introduction to season 3 and the episode
[04:28] Elizza’s URiM story
- Responsibility to increase diversity and inclusion: Elizza tells us about how her negative experiences with being treated as a ‘second-class citizen’ in the healthcare system motivate her to become a physician so she can increase diversity and inclusion as well as bridge disparities in healthcare.
[09:19] Myles’s URiM story
- Role of support and advocacy: Myles recalls the support system that allowed him to navigate the pre-med process and his desire to advocate for his community as a physician.
[16:25] Jana’s URiM story
- Importance of mentorship and programs that target URiM pre-meds: Jana shares how her mentors inspired her to pursue physician leadership roles and the importance of programs targeting URiM pre-meds in increasing diversity and inclusion in medicine.
[21:59] Closing Statements
- Discussion of themes present in the URiM pre-meds’ stories
- Exposure to the medical field through family experiences with illness and/or employment in healthcare
- Desire to pursue medicine to advocate not just for themselves and their families, but also their communities
- Knowledge of implicit and explicit biases as well as individual and systemic inequity in healthcare
- Programs that outreach to URiM pre-meds are tools to increase diversity and inclusion in medicine
Guests: Elizza, Myles, Jana
Co-Hosts/Producers: Dr. Pooja Jaeel, Dr. Maggie Kozman,
Executive Producer: Dr. Tammy Lin
Co-Executive Producers: Dr. Pooja Jaeel, Dr. Tiffany Leung
Senior Producers: Dr. DJ Gaines, Dr. Maggie Kozman
Editor/Assistant Producers: Emily Han, Joanna Jain
Production Assistants: Likitha Aradhyula, Lynn Nguyen
Website/Art Design: Ann Truong
Music: Chris Dingman
Special Thanks: Dr. Brittane Parker, Oye Bosompra, and Nyah Rodman
Disclaimer: The DEI Shift podcast and its guests provide general information and entertainment, but not medical advice. Before making any changes to your medical treatment or execution of your treatment plan, please consult with your doctor or personal medical team. Reference to any specific product or entity does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by The DEI Shift. The views expressed by guests are their own, and their appearance on the podcast does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent. Views and opinions expressed by The DEI Shift team are those of each individual, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of The DEI Shift team and its guests, employers, sponsors, or organizations we are affiliated with.
Season 3 of The DEI Shift podcast is proudly sponsored by the American College of Physicians Southern California Region III Chapter.
The DEI Shift theme music is by Chris Dingman. Learn more at www.chrisdingman.com.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org, @thedeishift, thedeishift.com